Friday 29 January 2010

Earth Presentation

After visiting the Earth exhibition on Monday I found a number of pieces interesting but before I talk about my chosen piece I am going to talk about some other pieces I found interesting and why.


This is the piece Sunlight in an Empty Room by Spencer Finch, the reason that this piece cached my attention was that it looked like a storm cloud and usually storm clouds seem violent and have some motion in it. But this piece seemed so peaceful and stationary.


This is the piece Amazonian Field by Antony Gormley, the reason that this piece cached my attention was that when there is that many small objects symbolising people it makes you feel huge. Also I noticed that there were dark patches within the piece and I thought that this might symbolise pollution.

This is the piece Tide by Darren Almond, the reason that this piece cached my attention was that it was one that you wondered what was the meaning behind it and why so many clocks, I thought that it was a way of connecting the earth with its responsibility to global warming.



This is the piece is part of the Endless Series by Tomas Saraceno, the reason that this piece cached my attention was that I thought that it was giving us a preview of what landscapes would look like if we don’t stop.


The piece that I have decide to present to you is by Cornelia Parker called Heart Of Darkness and is made out of Charcoal and was made in 2004. When I saw this piece the first idea that come into my mind was that it was symbolising and explosion and the trail of sorrow behind it.

Like all of the pieces that I viewed in the exhibition I wrote down keywords and the keywords that I wrote for this was…

• Shatter
• Explosion
• Burn
• Coal
• Frozen in Time
• Fire
• Forest
• Sorrow
• Logs
• Twigs
• Bark
• Pines
• Gravity
• Black
• Change
• Levitation
• Slow Motion
• Not all burned
• Destruction

When I looked a the piece further I could see that not everything was burned fully so I read the booklet and find out that the title of the piece is taken from the novel written by Joseph Conrad, this then later inspired the 1979 film Apocalypse Now. So I could get an idea of what the piece was based around I decided to look at the trailer of the film, and I could see the use of gas guzzling machinery and weapon causing forest fires and destruction within the film (which as a whole pollutes the earth further).

After reading the booklet once I had written my words I have found out that the wood was taken from a forest fire in Florida that started controlled and small but grew due to winds. This shows that the keywords I wrote correspond with the exhibition.

Looking at the piece and the material that was used to create it makes it symbolic because the fact that wood from the Florida forest fire shows situations can start small but if you don’t keep look over them they can get out of control. This is the same about global warming because we have known about it for years but it is only recently that we are starting to make a difference.

Finally even thought this was not part of the Earth show I have decided to present it because I feel that it is still relevant to the global warming part of our project.

This piece was from the decode show and it is called flight patters by Aaron Koblin and it shows data from the US Federal aviation administration of the amount of planes over North America in a 24 hours. The white areas are areas where that are very dense show’s high use of aviation. This shows that if there are this many just over North America just think about how many are around the world in 24 hours and the amount of pollution that brings.

To conclude I find that by going to see these exhibitions it has opened my mind much more to symbolic ideas and meanings with global warming. Also ways in which it can be presented.

No comments: